Grip tape usually comes as a single piece of fabric. It is almost like a carpet that you wrap around your deck. It can be used to increase traction and also to give your board a custom look. You can even find it with designs on it so that you can jazz up the appearance of your board. Read on to know how to put grip tape on a skateboard.
How to Put Grip Tape on a Skateboard?
Below are the instructions when putting grip tape on a skateboard.
- Start by measuring the length and width of your skateboard deck. You will need to know these dimensions in order to cut the grip tape to size.
- Once you have the measurements, use a pencil to mark out the dimensions on the back of the grip tape.
- Carefully cut along the lines that you have drawn using a sharp pair of scissors. Make sure that the edges of the grip tape are nice and straight.
- Now it’s time to apply the grip tape to your deck. Start by peeling off a corner of the tape and aligning it with one end of your deck.
- Slowly start smoothing out the tape as you work your way down the length of the deck. Use your fingers to press down on the tape and make sure that there are no air bubbles.
- Once the grip tape is in place, you can use your scissors to trim off any excess around the edges of the deck.
What Do You Need to Put Grip Tape on Your Skateboard?
The tools and materials needed in order to put grip tape on the skateboard are as follows.
- Grip tape
- Tape measure or ruler
- Skateboard deck
Does Grip Tape Go on Top of the Skateboard?
Grip tape usually goes on top of the skateboard deck. It is applied to the smooth surface of the deck in order to provide traction for the rider’s feet. The grip tape can also be used to customize the look of your board. You can find it in a variety of colors and designs.
How Do You Remove Old Grip Tape From a Skateboard?
If you want to remove old grip tape from your skateboard, the first thing you need to do is heat up the adhesive with a hair dryer. This will make it easier to peel off the tape. Once the adhesive is heated, slowly start peeling the tape away from one end of the deck.
Work your way down the length of the deck until all of the tapes have been removed. You can also use a razor blade to scrape off the old grip tape. Just be careful not to damage the surface of your deck.
How Often Should You Replace the Grip tape?
You should replace the grip tape on your skateboard when it starts to wear down or tear. You may also want to replace it if you want to change the color or design. Grip tape is relatively inexpensive, so it is not a big deal to replace it every few months.
And that’s it. You now know how to put grip tape on a skateboard. Just follow these simple steps and you’ll have your board looking great in no time.